Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lost!


I’m smiling today, remembering this story from 2003.

On a hot summer day, I bravely took Brody and 7 other kids to Disneyland all by myself. My husband and Jake were planning to meet us down there later in the afternoon. To make things safer for the kids and easier for me, I paired each kid up with a buddy, 2x2, and made sure they held hands with their buddy at all times, as we walked through the park. Brody was 7 years old, but the oldest of the group.

Walking past Pirates of the Caribbean, I turned to do a headcount, as I had done all day. But this time, there was no sign of Brody. It was REALLY crowded that day. I scanned the area, thinking he fell behind, but there was no sign of him or his buddy, Frances. At this point, I started SCREAMING him name. Brody! Brody!!! BRODY!!!!! Nothing. Other parents could tell something was wrong. I walked the other 6 children over to a bench and sat them down and a kind couple offered to stay with them while I scoured the area, still yelling Brody’s name.

Within about what felt like 30 minutes, but was really only 3, a kind man that worked for Disneyland walked up to me smiling and whispered to me “we’ve had kids coming here for 50 years, and we haven’t lost one yet.” I immediately started to cry. Although he comforted me, my nerves and anxiety got the best of me.

We’d been to Disneyland a million times. We’d had passes for years. We always tell our children that if they get lost, to stay put. We will find you, but to never keep going, just stop!

The kind man asked what Brody looked like and his buddy Frances. “He’s blonde and this tall” as I held my hand just above my waist to show the height. “Frances is shorter, with dark hair.” He asked me “what is your son wearing?” I replied “he’s wearing shorts, Vans tennis shoes, and a blue t-shirt that says….LOST on it.”

I couldn’t believe it. I immediately started to laugh as I realized this boy wore a shirt to Disneyland that says LOST on the front of it on the same day he actually gets lost.

Within about 3 more minutes, I see Brody and Frances with another Disneyland employee. As we make eye contact, we run towards each other, and sadly both children were crying. My heart broke, but at least they were found, safe.

For the remainder of the day, whenever he had the opportunity, while standing in line, or talking to ride attendants, Brody would blab to people “she lost us today” or “my mom lost me”. He worked hard to embarrass me the entire day. Thankfully, we can actually laugh about it now.

1 comment:

Erin said...

HAHA that is a GREAT story. Must have been terrifying at the time though!

PS - I HAVE to see the pictures you guys took (one of which is called Stairing on your page). That looks sooo cool, but I can't find them on your FB.