Monday, October 6, 2008

Educating America, one word at a time

Word for the day: Nuclear

I am on a soapbox today because I am trying to educate 4 children in my home. They actually sat and watched the debate with us last night, and during which, we have the leaders of America mispronouncing so many things. It’s scary. I’d like to know how many of their school teachers are mispronouncing words in the classroom, thus causing this great catastrophe in the world.

I’ll admit, I think Sarah Palin is gorgeous, smart as hell, and could be a great leader. I think the same of Joe Biden, except for the gorgeous part. However, other Americans are listening to them speak and learning the incorrect pronunciation of words. It’s just sad. And George Dubya is worse!!!

Did you know that because so many people, high level people, have pronounced the word “nuclear” incorrectly that they have actually added the incorrect pronunciation to dictionaries????

Check out this site:

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Nucular
It is new-clear, NOT new-cu-lar

Can you believe that? Just because a few high profile people said it wrong, it now makes it right?????

Some other words that tick me off that are pronounced incorrectly:

Acrossed - hello people, it's just across, there's no ‘ed’ on the end.

Artic - No such thing peeps, it's the Arctic. Read it again if you didn't get it.

Aks - If you plan to chop down a tree, it's ax. If you want to get an answer, you must ASK a question. Aks??? Really?!?!?

Fisical - Ok, I work in the accounting field and hear this so much it drives me up the wall. The word physical, we all know well, I can assume. But there is this thing called fiscal. Like fiscal year, fiscal crisis etc. Are you fiscally sound? It is NOT fisically sound, or fisical year. It is fiscal. (Fi-skull)

Supposably - No such thing. It's supposedly! Period.

And lastly Volumptuous - Take out the M people. Our boobs might be lumpy, causing you to put the word lump in the middle, but that's NOT how the word is pronounced. It's voluptuous!

No comments: